National Coal Mining Museum England
The museum will reopen on the 5th August. Find out more here.
Come down t’pit at the National Coal Mining Museum
PLEASE NOTE: THE MUSEUM IS CURRENTLY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Pop on a hard hat and lamp then travel on an adventure 140m underground into England’s last deep coal mine while talking to charismatic former-miners as they tell the tales of their careers.
- Walk in the footsteps of hundreds of miners and understand the lives of the men, women, children and animals that work in the mine. See the evolution of authentic tools and machinery over the centuries
- Learn about the work life, home life and the communities that Miners lived in.
- Meet the museum’s very own Pit Ponies, Eric and Ernie and our Clydesdale horse, Finn
- Enjoy the seasonal programme of diverse events from technical tours to family events including explosive science shows.
- Experience regular hands-on activities and living history characters
- Let off steam in the adventure playground
- Explore acres of woodland spotting plants and wildlife
- Relax and Reflect in the Miner’s Memorial Garden
- Strike up a conversation with the blacksmiths as they restore metalwork and create art you can buy
- Step into original colliery buildings to find out how life at a pit worked
- Walk through reed beds that help transform bright orange mine water into clean river water
To find out more, visit National Coal Mining Museum England's website.
This venue has no offers currently available.
Take a look at the fantastic events coming up at National Coal Mining Museum England.