Get kitted out with your miner’s helmet and battery lamp then step into the miner’s cage and descend 140m underground in a breath-taking underground adventure to discover the story of mining through the ages.
Led by ex-miners, the hugely popular underground tours will give you a vivid insight into the dangers and hardships faced by the men, women and children who toiled underground. Keep your ‘check’ and donate your £5 deposit to the Museum to keep the stories of coal mining alive for future generations.
- Meet the museums’s very own Pit Ponies, Eric and Ernie and our Clydesdale horse, Finn
- Visit their Special Exhibitions which focus on different areas of mining history
- Seasonal programme of diverse events including family events such as the popular & explosive science shows.
- Regular hands-on activities, living history characters. Download our FREE iSPY Explore app to guide you round the site.
- The Coal Interface Gallery allows you to see the workings of coal mining machinery, while a visit to the Mining Lives Gallery will give you an insight into the real life of miners and their community
- Educational points of interest include taking a trip down to the settling ponds to see how water is pumped out of the mine and filtered through an ecological system – don’t miss the steam winder, medical centre and pithead baths
- An award winning café which uses locally sourced, seasonal produce
- Pay your respects to ‘Lives Lived, Lives Lost’ at the Miners’ Memorial Garden up at Hope Pit
- Nature trails around the surrounding Yorkshire countryside
For more information visit the NCMME website.
Events at the National Coal Mining Museum For England