Expect the unexpected with fantastical Christmas celebrations this season
Gossiping paintings, singing crockery, hustle and bustle above and below stairs, in addition to festive making workshops with leading artists, children’s craft activities and trails, two market weekends and the return of Terrace Cottage’s beloved annual visitors…Christmas at Harewood is like no other Christmas experience in Yorkshire.
For six weeks from Saturday 23 November, Harewood invites visitors to enjoy the festive season. In the House they are encouraged to look under the stairs, listen out for voices and follow the music, as the West Wing of the State Floor and Below Stairs are transformed into an enchanting trail based around the House’s own fascinating stories and collections. Across the fairy-lit grounds, visitors can take part in trails, get hands on with crafts and enjoy seasonal food and drink amongst other bookable activities.
Continuing the charity’s vision to work with artistic partnerships of the highest quality, which began in 2017 with the Victorian House, created by award winning film and television set-designer Sir Michael Howells, and followed in 2018 with artistic director Simon Costin’s Dreams of the 1920s, this Christmas sees acclaimed British multimedia artists Davy & Kristin McGuire, from Studio McGuire, project their fantasy stories and creativity onto the House. Harewood will also be open for the first time on New Year’s Day.
Christmas Market Weekends
- Two weekends 7 & 8 December and 14 & 15 December – welcoming over 30 hand selected makers from around the region and some of the finest in their field and accompanied by live music in the Courtyard from choirs and brass bands.
Cooking demonstrations (selected weekends)
- The Victorian kitchen at Harewood is one of the best loved and most iconic rooms in the House. With the kitchen the engine room of any house at Christmas, discover the stories whilst watching a seasonal cooking demonstration. *cooking demos taking place in the Still Room
Family Trails around Harewood – self-guided.
- Curiosity Cabin – free play for under 5s and their families.
Christmas craft activities in the Stables, Courtyard – daily.
FESTIVE MUSIC & MERRIMENT WITH FATHER CHRISTMAS.
Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 24 Dec
- A full festive experience in the home of Father & Mrs Christmas, with a musical workshop, story time and songs, together with a photograph with Father Christmas and a personalised traditional gift for every child and a freshly baked treat.
- Member Child £20 (4+) / Non Member: £25 (under 4 £20)
NEEDLE FELT FESTIVE ROBINS
Thursday 5 December | 11am – 4pm | £80
- Join artist Helen Riddle and make a gorgeous felt Christmas robin. You will master basic needle-felting techniques to produce a life-sized standing robin to use as a decoration, hang on the tree or to give as a present. A one-day course, suitable for beginners. All equipment and materials are provided.
- Refreshments and lunch provided on the day.
NEEDLE FELT CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS
Sunday 15 December | 10.30 – 1.00 & 2.00 – 4.30 | £45
- Artist Helen Riddle teaches you how to make a jolly Father Christmas decoration, mastering basic needle-felting techniques. Half day course suitable for beginners. All equipment and materials are provided.
FESTIVE WIRE STAG HEADS
Friday 6 December | 11am – 4pm | £80
- Chris Moss’ workshops create fabulous creations, this one using basic chicken wire to make an impressive stag’s head to mount on the wall. No previous experience is required and all tools and materials are supplied, with refreshments and lunch included.
CHRISTMAS REINDEER WEAVING
New date as all dates sold out 18 December | 11am – 4pm | £85
- Snag a space on this hugely popular workshop with acclaimed willow weaver Leilah Vyner, and make your very own 4-foot Christmas reindeer. All the tools are provided for the day, which also includes lunch. No prior experience needed.
WILLOW CHRISTMAS WREATH MAKING
Tuesday 10 December | 11am – 1pm & 2 – 4pm | £45
- Enjoy a festive willow wreath making workshop using coppiced willow and greenery gathered from a local estate. Decorate with a choice from a large variety of dried fruit and sparkly Christmas decorations. All tools are provided.
FESTIVE TWILIGHT TOURS
Thursday 28 November | 6.30 – 8.30pm | Member £15 / Adult £31
Thursday 5 December | 6.30 – 8.30pm | Member £15 / Adult £31
Thursday 12 December | 6.30 – 8.30pm | Member £15 / Adult £31
Thursday 19 December | 6.30 – 8.30pm | Member £15 / Adult £31
- Join Harewood for an exclusive out of hours tour of the House and explore our Christmas experience after dark. This special twilight tour includes a welcome glass of fizz and mince pie on arrival, before you are taken on an after-hours tour of the State Floor and Below Stairs. Explore the rooms which have been reimagined by Creative Directors Studio McGuire, and step into a mischievous world created with fantastical projections. Let our expert guides take you on a journey of discovery, as the House comes alive after dark.
CHRISTMAS WREATH MAKING WITH LEAFY COUTURE
Wednesday 4 December | 10.30am – 1.30pm & 2.30 – 4.30pm | £65
- Create a striking seasonal wreath for your door with the talented Leafy Couture flower school. Using seasonal foliage, fruits and berries and plenty of creativity and imagination, take inspiration from the historic surroundings of Harewood and bring the spirit of a traditional Christmas to life, with the scents of cinnamon, herbs and pine. Includes festive refreshments.
FESTIVE FLORISTRY WORKSHOP WITH LEAFY COUTURE
Wednesday 11 December | 10.30am – 2.30pm | £150
- If you’re craving a full day of floral festivities, then join the talented team from local yet nationally acclaimed florists Leafy Couture, for a day of making. Make a seasonal wreath and take part in a session with Leafy Couture’s founder Sarah Richardson on how to dress and present the perfect Christmas table. Complete the day with a Festive Afternoon Tea with the Leafy team in the Billiard Room.
Christmas at Harewood: A Night at the Mansion
Saturday 23 November – Sunday 5 January
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day
For further information see www.harewood.org and on social media @HarewoodHouse