You will need: a balloon, metal spoon, wool jumper, dark room
- Blow up a balloon and tie the end.
- Go to a dark room with all the materials.
- Hold the balloon where it is tied and rub it on a wooly jumper or your head.
- Get the balloon close to the metal spoon and when it is close enough, you will see a tiny spark jump from the balloon to the metal.
- If you don’t see any sparks, try rubbing the balloon on a jumper or your head whilst you are sitting on a chair, or wearing shoes.
How it works: Static electricity is produced inside a thundercloud, and this moves to the ground, creating lightening. Rubbing the balloon also created static electricity, which moves to the spoon, creating a tiny spark of lightning.