You will need: an energy saving florescent lightbulb, a balloon, a dark room
- Blow up the balloon and tie it.
- Go into a dark room with the balloon and lightbulb. Wait a minute for your eyes to adjust to the darkness.
- Rub the top of the balloon back and forth on your hair several times to make some static electricity.
- Point the light bulb towards the top of the balloon, holding the bulb close to the place where you rubbed the balloon.
- Move the balloon back and forth quickly over the light bulb. Don’t touch the balloon to the bulb or it will pop!
- Watch the magic happen as a dim light appears from the bulb!
How it works: Your hair contains electrical charges. When you rubbed the balloon in your hair, it picked up some of those electrical charges (static electricity). The light bulb you used also has electrical charges in it, and some of them were attracted to the balloon. When you moved the balloon, it moved the electrical charges inside the bulb, which bumped into the chemicals in the bulb and were converted to light.