You will need: paper or plastic cup, scissors, string, tape, 2 chairs, broom, large sheet of paper, paint, water, plastic sheeting or cloth
- Prep the workspace by covering the floor.
- Make your pendulum by poking a hole in the centre of the bottom of the cup. You’ll also need to put one hole on either side of the cup underneath the rim.
- Tie a piece of string through the two holes on either side of the cup, creating a handle. Place the handle over the broom, then place the broom horizontally across two chairs. Slide the cup to the middle of the broom.
- Experiment with your pendulum by popping a bit of water into the cup. This will allow you to test the movement and check your workspace is covered.
- Pop a piece of tape across the hole at the bottom of the cup, then fill your cup with a mix of washable paint and water (about 2 parts paint to one part water).
- Remove the tape and swing the cup to create your artwork – you can use more than one cup with different colours of paint if you wish.
Top tip – worried about making a mess? Make washable pavement paint with a mix of cornflour, water and washable paint, and make your artwork on the pavement!